Welcome to the year 1 and 2 class page!
Year 1 and 2
Welcome to our class page!
You will find lots of important information about our class on this page. Our teacher is Miss Savage and our teaching assistant is Mrs Kellett.
Our PE days are every Tuesday and Friday.
All PE kits must be brought into school on a Monday and return home on a Friday. Please ensure all of your child's PE kit is clearly labelled with their name.
Your child will receive homework every week. This includes weekly spelling and number bonds or times tables. Please ensure all homework is returned to school on a Friday for testing.
It is expected that your child reads at home at least five times a week. All reading books and records must be returned to school each day.
Aim for Strive for Five!
Important dates for your diary...
Thursday 12th October 2017- Our trip to Muncaster Castle
Wednesday 18th October 2017- Knights and Princesses Day
Friday 20th October 2017- Break up for half term!
Monday 30th October 2017- Return to school
Tuesday 31st October 2017- Halloween disco
Year 1 Phonics Screening Check
What is the Phonics Screening Check?
Children in Year 1 throughout the country will all be taking part in a phonics screening check during the same week in June. Children in Year 2 will also take the check if they did not achieve the required result when in Year 1 or they have not taken the test before.
Head teachers should decide whether it is appropriate for each of their pupils to take the phonics screening check. The phonics screening check is designed to confirm whether individual children have learnt sufficient phonic decoding and blending skills to an appropriate standard.
What Happens During the Test?
The test contains 40 words. Each child will sit one to one and read each word aloud to a teacher. The test will take approximately 10 minutes per child, although all children are different and will complete the check at their own pace. The list of words the children read is a combination of 20 real words and 20 pseudo words (nonsense words).
How Can I Help My Child At Home?
- Play lots of sound and listening games with your child.
- Read as much as possible to and with your child.
- Encourage and praise – get them to have a ‘good guess’.
- If your child is struggling to decode a word, help them by encouraging them to say each sound in the word from left to right.
- Blend the sounds by pointing to each letter, e.g. /c/ in cat, or the letter group, e.g. /ng in sing. Next move your finger under the whole word as you say it.
- Discuss the meaning of words if your child does not know what they have read.
Mrs Doran is holding weekly phonics sessions for parents.
Please see Mrs Doran or Miss Savage to book onto these sessions (free of charge).
Year 2 National Curriculum Tests (SATs)
Year 2 children will be taking the national curriculum tests (commonly called SATs) in May 2018. These tests can be done on any date in May.
The tests are not qualifications and don’t affect your child’s future options in school. The results are an opportunity to compare pupils nationally to ensure schools are helping pupils to master the basics in English and mathematics,
and make progress. They are also an important tool to help teachers identify pupils who may need additional support, and make sure this is put in place as early as possible. ...
Your child will sit the following tests:
- English Reading: 2 papers: short text and questions; longer text with separate questions
- Mathematics: 2 papers: arithmetic; mathematical reasoning
- English grammar, punctuation and spelling (optional):2 papers: spelling; punctuation and grammar (including vocabulary)